History

The distance between Farmington, NC and West Bend, NC by today's raods is eight miles and takes approximately 15 minutes to drive the winding roads. In the 1880's, to the Masons residing in the West Bend area, it was probably five miles "over the river and through the woods" and took several times longer on foot, on horseback, or by a wagon. Thus, seven Masons in the West Bend area, five of whom were members of Farmington Lodge #265, requested from the Grand Lodge of North Carolina the privilege of forming a lodge in that area.

A dispensation was issued on March 27, 1890 for West Bend #UD A.F. & A.M. and a Charter was subsequently issued for West Bend #434 A.F. & A.M. on January 14, 1891.

To read more about the history of West Bend #434, please view the PDF.